Reversing Type 1 Diabetes and Heart Disease

Want to meet the oldest living Type 1 Diabetic… with totally normal blood sugar?

Meet Dr. Richard Bernstein.

Dr. Richard Bernstein

At almost 80 years old, Dr. Bernstein is living proof of the power of a low-carb diet when it comes to reversing disease!

Dr. Bernstein is almost 80 years old. He works out 3-4 days per week with resistance (weights) and intense cardio (short and sweet.) He has consumed a high fat, low carbohydrate diet since the early 1960′s to control both his blood sugar and his (former) heart disease.

Since that time, Dr. Bernstein has gone from yet another heart disease statistic (while consuming the ADA’s recommended low-fat diet nonsense) to the very picture of fitness and health. He’s not only lean and fit, he has the most ideal blood profile I’ve ever seen. His HDL (protective cholesterol carrier) is a whopping 128—anything over 45 is considered excellent! His small particle LDL is almost non-existent. His total LDL is about 50, and his triglycerides, a fat in the blood formed from carbohydrates and glucose, has gone from over 300 to under 50. And, his fasting and post-prandial (after meals) blood sugar is 80.

This interview covers his approach to nutrition, exercise, and the debunking of the “saturated fat causes heart disease” myth.

If you know anyone with Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes, or if this disease runs in your family, or if you have heart disease (either yourself or in your gene pool), then this interview is a must-listen.

Enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Reversing Type 1 Diabetes and Heart Disease”

1. Rhona says:

My Mother was the first person to take insulin when she was around eight years old. She was born in 1919 in Montreal, Canada. My brother is taking insulin being a diabetic. As for me I also have problems with blood sugar levels. Being a doctor of naturopathy I have placed myself on the way of eating like Dr. Bernstein. I have not been able to take it down all the way to normal. I also use from Apex Gluco Balance B-5 and also Native Remedies Triple Complex Diabetonic. I have just joined a gym to work out and also use a CD on power walking.

Thanks
    Rhona Feldstein, ND

• Jon Benson says:

Rhona,

It does take a while to get your sugars under control using this method. If you’re taking anything that may artificially elevate sugars, like niacin, you also need to take that into consideration.

Something that I learned from Dr. Bernstein is the (sad) fact that some of us simply cannot ‘cheat’ once a week. I’m in the process now of determining how often I can consume even a modicum of carbs to keep my sugars at 85 or lower.

Weight training cannot be underemphasized. It’s a ‘must’ for controlling sugars, so check again after you’ve trained for a few months with resistance. Good luck!

2. Richard Prettejohn says:

Dear Jon, we are in deepest Africa (Swaziland) and have an extremely slow internet connection and are battling to hear your interview with Dr. Bernstein. I have type 2 diabetes and prostate cancer aswell. Is there any chance I could read the transcript of your interview with Dr Bernstein somewhere else?
    Thanks and Regards
    Richard

• Jon Benson says:

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear about the connection issue. I may transcribe this, yes. If I do, it will be on the blog later in the week.

You may also want to go to YouTube.com and search for “richard bernstein”. You may have better luck with the videos.

3. Cristina DiMurro says:

Jon – I really appreciate this interview and the fact that I didn’t have to buy something to have access. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a few years ago. After bringing his sugar level from 600 to normal range, he was sent home with a 2500 calorie, very high carb diet; high in refined carbs no less. I was so distressed when I saw this. What I find is that taking insulin absolutely fights against the diabetic losing weight. It’s a vivious circle to take insulin, which because it is introduced based on the sugar levels at the time and the prescribed regimen, causes the diabetic to HAVE to eat, even when not hungry. I forwarded the interview to my son. By the way, my husband died from diabetes complications.

• Jon Benson says:

Hi Christina,

You’re more than welcome. I’m starting an interview and fitness news series this year that will contain a ton of free, value-loaded content. As for your son: Please, get a second opinion from a doctor who isn’t stuck in the 1980s. That dietary advice is akin, in my non-medical opinion, to sending a cancer patient home with a pack of cigarettes. I’m very sorry to hear about your husband, and I’m sure you know that this nasty problem is hereditary. I urge you to look into seeing a doctor like Bernstein who “gets it.”

Case in point: I was able to reverse my own genetic predisposition to heart disease (full story coming up shortly) using my knowledge of diet, biology, and a ton of research. The approach is almost identical to Bernstein’s approach for reversing T2D, although I do eat more carbs because I body build. But not that much more. My cardiologist, a plant-based diet fanatic (and a super nice guy) was shocked to see the results. I was not. I’m not sure why the medical community is so blinded to the fact that “sugar”, in ANY form, is the problem, NOT dietary fat. These diseases were hardly on the map 100 years ago, and our dietary fat intake was 30% higher back then. Our sugar intake was 1/17th what it is today.

It seems common sense is not very common. And, neither is open-minded, data-driven research.

Good luck, and have a great New Year!

4. Peter says:

“File not found” Can you repost the audio file? Thanks.